Thursday, August 7, 2008

Well leak

We got back from Minnesota on Monday and I noticed that there was some wet soil around the well house. I just assumed that the dog took a leak, didn't think much more about it. Later that evening after my bike ride I put the dog away and went to the well house to feed him. I noticed a slight water hissing noise and it sounded like the frost free spicket was leaking underground. I took the frost free spicket apart and everything appeared good, but when I turned the well back on I could still hear some kind of hissing. During this time I noticed the soil around the spicket was soaked, definitely a leak somewhere. I turned off the well for that evening and the following day until I got home from work. I ended up digging out a small hole down (pic) to the pipes (pic) and found that the nipple coming off the well casing had a pin hole in it (pic) (pic). Dug some more, saw-zall old nipple, went to Ace got two nipples and a union and its good to go (pic). Just have to fill in the hole once I know its not leaking anymore. Also may move the water spicket outside away from the well casing so when the spicket drains it will not run down the side of the well casing and contaminated the water (a prior health inspector mentioned).

No comments: