Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Toyota Corolla starter issues

Last night went down to Hermiston to help Aaron and Ethan work on E's car. The last time E drove it apparently the starter was engaging the whole time. Even when he stopped and turned off the car and removed the keys, the starter was still turning over.

A & E had done a lot of the hard work on Sunday before I came down. On the picture you will notice the shiny part sitting on the intake. That's part of the internals of the starter. All I can say is that these guys bring a smile to my face. That's all I'm going to say about that because E has been known to pick guys up and throw them around.

I checked and made sure it wasn't the starter relay or ignition switch, so decided it was just a bad starter solenoid. We replaced the starter using old school methods, jacks, flashlights, crawling on back, etc. Have I mentioned I love having my shop and lift, I'm definitely spoiled. With everything put back together (even the core, that's another story) we had to jump start the car because battery was soooo dead. I checked and it had 0.07 volts. Anyways, its good to go, possibly have to buy a new battery but it might charge back up.

2 comments:

Sara and Ethan said...

What kind of a dumb a** takes apart a starter? Do they ride a short bus to School?

TuHandy said...

I agree emcd, but we should not make fun of these kinds of people. I prefer to just smile. And no I don't think he rides a short bus but drives a BMW M3 to school.